2 September 2016

Non-Running Items I NEED For Half and Full Marathon Training

A list of surprising things I use during marathon and half marathon training. These are everyday items that I’ve come to need when I run. Do you use anything random like this during training or running?

Hello! How’s it going? Over here it was going great until… I saw a SNAKE on my run. What the heck.

I was just running along listening to a  podcast when I spotted a big thing moving across the path a little ways up. I couldn’t recognize it at first because it was the same color as the gravel but as I got closer I realized it was a pretty big snake moving fast across the path. I stopped in my tracks running shoes and had a mini-heart attack.

scary snake running blog (800x450)

Then, I recovered and tried to catch my breath and let my heart rate go down as I updated Instagram. The people had to know!

image

Post-run I made a super thick green smoothie. The key to thickness is eating a lot of pizza. The key to thickness in a smoothie is a lot of ice and frozen spinach.

green smoothie running blog 1 (800x450)

This weekend during my long run I snapped a picture of some of my mid-run fuel – Ricola drops. This reminded me that I’ve been meaning to share a list of the things I use while running all the time – but these aren’t really running specific items or considered running gear.

These are everyday kind of things that I NEED while running. It’s kind of random, but I use them all the time. Check it out and let me know if you use anything that’s not runner specific, but helps you run too!

Non-RunningMust Haves (2)

Non-Running Items I Use During Half & Full Marathon Training

– Paper towels.

Why –> My nose runs when I run. This is actually a fairly common problem for runners. But, I am not good at snot rockets. So I always have a paper towel tucked somewhere to wipe my mocos while running.

Yeah, sometimes runners Monicans are gross. Running isn’t pretty, but it’s pretty awesome.

paper towels running tip (800x450)

Ricola cough drops.

Why –> I like that they make my throat feel all clear and fresh. It opens up my air passages and gives me a tiny kick of sugar.

running blog hack tips (450x800)

– Beach towel

Why –> I am the sweatiest sweaty runner of your life. Trust me. When I drive somewhere to run I need a big beach towel to cover my car seat for the way home.

Spark

Why –> Running takes a lot out of you! Spark is my favorite energy drink. I sip this mid-morning during the week to help avoid a mid-day slump – I’m a lot more fatigued during marathon training so this really helps. I’ve also been known to drink it to rehydrate right after a run.

(They also sell a Rehydrate drink that’s good, but I always have Spark around so I usually just use that.)

non running must haves (450x800)

*My favorite flavors are fruit punch and mango strawberry.

– Spray sunblock

Why –> I use spray sunblock to make sure I get the part in my hair. This can be an overlooked area when applying sunblock!

– Ginger chews

Why –> Ginger is great for settling your stomach. And ginger chews have sugar and ginger so it’s a good option to settle my stomach before a race.

– Vitamins

Why –> Training for a race requires you to really push yourself. You are doing things an athlete does – so you need to treat yourself like an athlete. This includes getting enough rest and eating well. Although I do eat healthy, my diet is not perfect so to make sure I’m getting in vitamins I take a supplement.

– Watermelon

Why –> It makes me happy. Oh, and it’s good for you.

running tips watermelon (800x450)

But mainly because I deserve something delicious after all that running!

And the #1 running / training NEED:  Ice cream.

marathon training must haves (800x450)

Question: Do you use anything that isn’t specifically meant for running when you run?

The post Non-Running Items I NEED For Half and Full Marathon Training appeared first on Run Eat Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment